The construction of the castle began in 1749 by the owner of the Vukovar fief Count Anzelmo Kazimir Eltz. In the beginning only the central section was built and several additional constructions added the other sections. The first major expansion was done in as early as 1781 and it was complete in the early 20th century, according to the plans by the architect from Vienna Siedek. It is large, with a luxurious concept and with rich stylistic details, but it retains the harmony of ratio. It is considered as one of the most representative buildings of the baroque era in Croatia. Since 1968 the Castle Eltz houses the Vukovar City Museum. The building suffered terrible damage in 1991 and the castle is fully reconstructed through the project by the Council of Europe and the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Croatia “Vukovar – Vučedol – Ilok: Research – Restoration – Revitalization”.
- Address: Županijska 2, 32000 Vukovar
- Email: email@example.com